About Me

My photo
My name is Dawn Haas and I am a portrait/lifestyle photographer in the Tampa/St. Pete/New Port Richey area. This is where I put all my thoughts and a few pictures from every shoot. For more information check out my website at www.dawnhaasphotography.com or please contact me by email. God bless and if you like what you see I am just an email away. Dawnhaasphotography@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

High Fructose what??

I have never really worried about what I eat other than the calories and fat grams, ingredients never really have bothered me. I guess it would bother me if I would actually READ the ingredients but I never do, that was until now. I have always wanted my son, Christopher, to live a healthy life from the start. I really have worked hard on this. Well I thought I was good until TODAY!!!

Ok so we are going to start with BREAD, I changed to Honey Wheat, to be healthy. So today for fun I looked at the ingredients:


Then I was curious about everything else so I looked at the crackers I always give my son. Ritz whole wheat, because as we all know whole wheat is suppose to be good. Then I see this:
Ritz Crackers, Whole Wheat, 70 calories per serving, 1 Weight Watcher point.

Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR, SOYBEAN OIL, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LEAVENING (CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, BAKING SODA), SALT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER).

Holy Cow, now what, so I check out some of Christopher gerber food and what do you know:
Ok can't find the facts on these but I am looking at them right now and most of them have high fructose corn syrup!!!

What the heck???? If I eat white bread I will die of a heart attack, if I eat wheat I will die of diabetes and if I eat high fructose free I will die of a tasteless life. What the heck do I do parents?????

So I googled highfructose corn syrup and found this wonderful picture:

8 comments:

Erin Gail said...

i try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup. its awful for you - as well as partially hydrogenated oils.

oy. it's so hard to stay healthy.

but you should look at 100% Whole Wheat breads. they're more expensive, but are so much better for you! and the higher the dietary fiber, the better off you'll be.

(i took a nutrition class in college and i'm pretty much obsessed with it...)

and there is a book that matt has that might be helpful - http://www.amazon.com/150-Healthiest-Foods-Earth-Surprising/dp/1592332285

there are great foods in there that you might be able to start incorporating into your family diet!

good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Too Funny Dawn!!!

May I suggest. Either make your own bread via bread maker. There are very healthy recipes. The other choice is to buy good healthy bread like Ezekiel Bread or Newmans crackers. Higher price....but really not as much as the Gerber/steps specialty foods. Believe me you are paying more for the name than the food. Also go to this web site

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/baby/baby

I am glad Christopher has you looking out for his health!

MOM i have to publish anonymously...forgot my password.

Anonymous said...

my hubby recently read a book called "in defense of food" which talked about things like this and how scary our western diet is. one of the author's recommendations was to buy only food that had 5 or less ingredients, all of which had to be something recognizable. (i don't think it included the high fructose corn syrup, although unfortunately we all recognize that!) it has definitely added a new challenge to grocery shopping, that's for sure.

cherish.photography said...

Now where can I find a zoo that has those kinds of animals. I could feel very comfy. :)

the sondreggers said...

ahhh....reading the labels. welcome to the new way of shopping. :-) it's not so hard to do. If you're at publix, try to stick to the greenwise sections. if you're at walmart, look for the newmans, as recommended by your mom. Newmans has these alphabet cookies in arrowroot (like honey grahams), cinnamon and chocolate. I love them. Also try Back to Nature. They are definitely higher priced, but are on sale sometimes. And don't forget Kashi!! Whole grains, lower sugar (in some items). Also, try Annies (almost forgot). The have them at Walmart I think. Try the cheddar bunnies...yum! Annies makes some good macaroni and cheese, even with whole wheat pasta. For bread, i agree with the 100% whole wheat and the Ezekial Bread (it's what i eat 90% of the time). Ezekial is a bit pricier, so you'd need to shop around for that one. You can check the freezer section at Publix for whole grain/health food breads.
All in all, both high fructose corn syrup and the partially hydrogenated oils are horrible. HFCS is actually addictive, and it's also in all non-diet sodas. Regular sugar is okay...just in moderation. :-)
You can do it! Just replace one thing at a time, otherwise you'll feel overwhelmed and/or resentful.
And if you feel like making your own stuff, like cookies and muffins, I've got several good recipes.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn, Heather here. I was making bread for Corbin and I with a breadmaker. Only issue with that is that is goes bad really fast so you have to eat it fast and you gotta cut which I am HORRIBLE at. Corbin had some funky looking PBJs. I have a friend that eats the Ezekial bread and swears by it!

Loved this blog. Ive been reading your older stuff too. Your images are great.. you should teach me some of your secrets!

MattDJ said...

OK...you need to put a warning next time you even think about posting an image like that!! I was drinking water...

...you owe me a new keyboard. :-)

Studio222 Photography said...

Oh yeah! HFCS is not so good for us. I went on a kick last year when I banned it from my diet and made my own candy corn. HAHA. Now I just try to avoid it. But the candy corn making was fun!

That giraffe cracks me up!